SuperBarrio is a video game designed to give users the opportunity to design their own neighbourhood. With a simple and intuitive interface, that any user can understand, it gives the possibility to propose solutions for the public space dragging in a 3D model of the area some pre-defined urban modules (eg. smart urban furnitures, benches, trees, markets, micro windmills etc).
These solutions can then be visualised through augmented reality. The video game proposes the challenge of defining a balanced and inclusive solution that can reach high levels of accessibility, productivity, economy, ecology and social interaction for the neighbourhood. The different proposals can be shared with all neighbours and the city itself through an online forum, where different users will be able to visualize, vote and discuss the proposals of their neighbours.
[PDF Download] SuperBarrio
SuperBarrio is a video game designed to gather citizens’ opinion about public space design and programme. It allows citizens to visualize, navigate and interact with their neighbourhood that is represented as a detailed three dimensional model.
With a simple and intuitive interface that any user can understand, the solution gives users the possibility of playing with URBiNAT NBS or urban elements (e.g. smart urban furniture, benches, trees, markets, micro-windmills, etc.) in the public space. The user can drag the NBS in the 3D model and can visualize data about their impact on the urban environment such as data regarding accessibility, productivity, economy, ecology and social interaction for the neighbourhood.
Data about the solutions proposed by citizens are collected in a repository and statistics about their preferences can be created..
• As an online tool, it widens the potential audience of participatory processes, overcoming the limits of conventional methodologies;
• It enables the collection of a consistent dataset about citizens’ preferences, allowing designers and municipalities to thoroughly investigate the decision-making process of the user and to potentially find user patterns.
REPLICATION AND SCALABILITY
• The NBS and urban elements included in the video game can be modified or replaced;
• New typologies of solution’s impacts can be included;
• Any other neighbourhood can be designed and included in the 3d models of the game;
• Superbarrio can be used both in presence (e.g. in Living Labs) and remotely.
Superbarrio can be used to identify needs and preferences of residents in the local communities and study areas of URBiNAT.
CO-SELECTION & CO-DESIGN
The solution can be used as a digital enabler during the co-selection process. It can support decision-making processes by providing data on game sessions.
It can be co-implemented through workshop or webinar with facilitators that assist the players and provide them with further information about the urban site and the solutions included in the game.
The solution’s functioning can be monitored by analyzing the data collected during the game sessions.
BEST PRACTICES and REFERENCES
Superbarrio has been developed by IAAC and already tested in Barcelona, Genova and Favara.
More info can be found at: www.superbarrio.iaac.net.